AYNSLEY BRAND HISTORY
The Aynsley brand was established by John Aynsley in 1775 in a small pottery in Lane End, later known as Longton, in Staffordshire.
He was initially known as an enameller which indicates that he was a decorator rather than a manufacturer to begin with.
It is not known exactly when Aynsley began their own manufacture but records show amaker of earthenware called Aynsley and Company existed in Flint Street, Lane End in 1810. They were the first to specialize in lustre ware; as in his obituary in 1829 “he introduced silver lustre ware at Lane end and since 1804 it has been practised with varied success through the whole of the district”
John Aynsley’s son James ventured next into the business but with limited success and is thought to have died in1841 leaving his son John Aynsley 2nd the eldest of 5 children to enter the pottery trade. There then followed many employments with small and large potteries including Minton through good times and bad until he founded the Portland works of John Aynsley and Company in 1861.
The early production was of decorative china ‘tea wares’ and soon progressed to ‘breakfast services’ and ‘dessert wares’ hand painted and gilded.
To this day, Aynsley manufacture in Longton, Staffordshire fine bone china tableware and tea ware with luxurious decoration and hand gilding in gold and platinum.
Aynsley tableware continues to be made in the traditional way. Plates and cups are formed onto moulds, vegetable dishes , soup tureens, tea pots and bowls are hand cast using liquid clay or ‘slip’. Handles are hand cast and applied. Decoration is by hand applied lithographic transfers or hand enamelling and hand gilding .
Most famous are the gold and platinum etched designs that have been selected by the most discerning clients around the world .